Samuel Lewis:

Parsonstown - Tullyallen

 

HOME PAGE                 SITE MAP

 

 

1837 Parsonstown - Tullyallen

 

Return to 1837 Samuel Lewis Topographical Dictionary Main Page

 

¦ County Louth ¦ Dundalk ¦ Drogheda ¦ Annagasson - Carrickbaggott ¦ Castlebellingham - Faughart ¦  Gernonstown - Newtown-Drogheda ¦ Parsonstown - Tullyallen ¦ Co. Louth Subscribers List ¦

 


PARSONSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of FERRARD, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S.E.) from Dunleer; containing 257 inhabitants. It is situated on the eastern coast, and, according to the Ordnance survey, comprises 524 statute acres, some of which is good land, but the remainder consists of a cold tenacious clay. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, constituting part of the union of Dunany; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Drogheda: the tithes amount to £48. 12., of which £29. 7. is payable to the impropriator, and £19. 5. to the vicar. In the R.C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Rathdrummin, or Clogher.

 

 

PORT, a parish, in the barony of FERRARD, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 4¾ miles (E.) from Dunleer, on the eastern coast; containing 809 inhabitants, of which number, 193 are in the village. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 1803½ statute acres of tolerably good land, principally in tillage. Within its limits is Seafield, the neat and pleasantly situated residence of H. L. Brabazon, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, forming part of the union of Rathdrummin: the rectory is impropriate in the Crown. The tithes amount to £145. 9. 4. the whole of which is received by the vicar, on his paying an annual quit-rent at the custom-house of Drogheda of £2. 19. 6., and there is a glebe of three acres, valued at £5 per annum. In the R.C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Dysert. About 290 children are educated in the national school at Boycetown; the school-house, a handsome and spacious building, was erected by subscription, to which Sir Patrick Bellew, Bart., liberally contributed.

 

 

PHILIPSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N.) from Ardee, on the road to Carrickmacross, and on the river Glyde; containing 1659 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the north-west by the county of Monaghan, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 3660 statute acres, which, excepting a portion of bog, is good arable and pasture land: agriculture is improving, under the auspices of the neighbouring gentry, who are also endeavouring to introduce the improved system of breeding cattle. The mill of Louth stands at the north-eastern extremity of the parish. The principal seats are Thomastown Castle, the residence of M. O'Reilly, Esq., in a well-wooded demesne of about 300 plantation acres; and Rathnestin, of J. Henry, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, forming part of the union of Charlestown: the tithes amount to £271. 17.6., of which £234. 17. 6. is payable to the impropriator, and £37 to the vicar. In the R.C. divisions the parish is one of four, forming the union or district of Tallanstown; there is a large chapel at Reastown. About 70 children are educated in two public schools, of which the parochial school-house at Reastown was built and is supported by G. H. Macartney, Esq., and the incumbent, by the latter of whom also and Col. Filgate the other school is supported. There are also two private schools, in which are about 100 children.

 

 

PHILIPSTOWN, an extra-parochial district, in the barony of FERRARD, county of LOUTH (though locally situated within the county of the town of Drogheda), and province of LEINSTER, 1½ mile (N.) from Drogheda, on the road to Dunleer; containing 70 inhabitants, and comprising 268¼ statute acres.

 

 

PHILIPSTOWN-NUGENT, a parish, in the barony of UPPER DUNDALK, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 2¾ miles (W.N.W.) from Dundalk, on the road to Castle-Blayney and on the river of Philipstown; containing 459 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 1035¾ statute acres of land, chiefly in tillage. Here are the extensive flour-mills of Messrs. Keiran, fitted up in a superior manner; and at Hack­ball's Cross is a station of the constabulary police. It is a curacy, in the diocese of Armagh, forming part of the union of Baronstown; the rectory is appropriate to the dean and chapter of Christ-Church, Dublin. The tithes amount to £107. 13. 5. The glebe-house is a handsome residence surrounded by neatly planted grounds; and nearly adjoining it is the church of the union, which is noticed in the article on Baronstown. In the R.C. divisions also the parish is in the union or district of Baronstown.

 

 

RATHCOR, a village, in the parish of CARLINGFORD, barony of LOWER DUNDALK, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 3½ miles (S.) from Carlingford, in the bay of Dundalk; containing 45 houses and 274 inhabitants.

 

 

RATHDRUMMIN, a parish, in the barony of FERRARD, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S.E.) from Dunleer, on the road from Drogheda to Dundalk; containing 640 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 1211a. 0r. 27p.: the land is good and almost entirely in tillage, and the state of agriculture is much improved. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, united by act of council, in 1810, to the rectory of Carrickbaggot and vicarage of Port, and in the patronage of the Crown. The tithes amount to £82. 6. 3½.; and the gross value of the benefice, including the glebes, comprising 13 acres, and valued at £25 per ann., is £310. 4. 8. The glebe-house was erected in 1810, by aid of a gift of £369, and a loan of the same amount from the late Board of First Fruits. The church is a neat structure, rebuilt in 1814 at an expense of £461, being a loan from the same Board. In the R.C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Clogher, Mayne, and Parsons town, and containing the chapels of Walshstown, in the parish of Rathdrummin, and Hacketscross in Clogher. Near the church is a large rath attributed to the Danes, consisting of an elevated area, 130 yards in circumference.

 

 

RICHARDSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 2¾ miles (E.) from Ardee, on the road to Annagasson; containing 537 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the north by the river Dee, which separates it from the parish of Stabannon; and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 1089¾ statute acres, which are nearly divided in equal portions between pasture and tillage. The land is generally of good quality, but those parts near the river are frequently overflowed; the system of agriculture is improving: the principal manure is lime, which is brought from Ardee, whence turf also is procured, there being no bog in the parish. The river is only partially navigable here. The obstructions in its bed are chiefly from eel weirs and a wall built across its old bed, at the bleach-green at Drumgoolstown. Richardstown Castle, the seat of J. H. Dawson, Esq., a structure of great strength and antiquity, has been partly modernised and embellished with new turrets by the proprietor, and converted into a handsome residence; it is situated in a highly improved demesne of 153 acres. The spinning and weaving of linen are carried on in some of the farmhouses. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, forming part of the union of Stabannon; the rectory is impropriate in Viscount Ferrard. The tithes amount to £117. 17. 4., the whole of which is payable to the impropriator. In the R.C. divisions it is part of the union of Dunleer. There are some remains of an old chapel near the castle, in tolerable preservation, with a baptismal font, and a vase for holy water in the wall near the door. There is also a well, called Sunday well, formerly held in great veneration.

 


Castle Roche, near Dundalk, from a Tempest postcard of 1912. Read below for a brief history of the castle


ROACH, or ROCHE, a parish, in the barony of UPPER DUNDALK, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (W.) from Dundalk, near the road to Crossmaglen; containing 1426 inhabitants. Roche castle is supposed to have been originally erected in the reign of Hen. II. by the family of De Verdun, who were among the earliest of the English settlers in this part of Ireland. In the parliamentary war it was held for the king, but in 1649 it was taken and partly demolished by the forces of Cromwell. The castle is situated on a rock, to the shape of which the buildings were conformed so as to include its entire summit; the area enclosed by the ramparts is of an irregular semicircular form, and the front, which forms the chord of the segment, is 85 feet in length; at the opposite extremity are the ruins of a keep with a sallyport and circular towers, apparently the oldest portion of. the buildings. An extensive view of the surrounding country is obtained from the castle, which in itself forms one of the most striking features in the neighbourhood. The parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 3305¼ statute acres of tolerably good land, mostly in tillage; it is bounded on the south by the river Creggan, or Castletown, and contains Roach, the former residence of Mr. Reilly; and Shortstones, the neat residence of Robt. Bailie, Esq. It is a curacy, in the diocese of Armagh, forming part of the union of Baronstown: the rectory is impropriate in John Pratt, Esq., to whom the tithes, amounting to £248. 11. 10., are entirely payable. In the R.C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Dundalk.

 

 

SALTERSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of FERRARD, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N.E.) from Dunleer; containing 354 inhabitants, of which number, 93 are in the hamlet. It is situated on the bay of Dundalk, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 1047¾ statute acres, the greater part of which is excellent land. A lead and copper mine was formerly worked here. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, forming part of the union of Dunany; the lands are tithe-free, having formerly belonged to the abbey of Mellifont. In the R.C. divisions it is part of the district of Dysart and Clonmore.

 

 

SHENLISH, or SHANLESS [SHANLIS], a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 1 mile (S.W.) from Ardee, on the road to Kells and Navan; containing 501 inhabitants. It is situated on the confines of the county of Meath, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 2038¼ statute acres, of which 217 are under water; the land is in general of good quality, and chiefly under tillage. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, forming part of the union of Ardee: the rectory is impropriate in Viscount Ferrard, to whom the tithes, amounting to £82. 10., are entirely payable. In the R.C. divisions also it forms part of the union or district of Ardee.

 

 

SMARMORE, a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 2½ miles (S.S.W.) from Ardee, on the road to Slane; containing 444 inhabitants. This parish comprises 1596 statute acres, according to the Ordnance survey: the land is of first-rate quality, and about two-thirds are under tillage: there is no bog. Smarmore Castle, the seat of Geo. Taaffe, Esq., is in a demesne of about 520 statute acres, well planted and tastefully laid out; it is of some antiquity, but considerable additions have been made to it by the present proprietor; in the demesne are three Danish raths. The parish is in the diocese of Armagh, and is a vicarage, forming part of the union of Ardee: the rectory is impropriate in G. Taaffe, Esq., and the entire tithes have merged in the rental of the land. In the R.C. divisions it is part of the union of Ardee.

 

 

STABANNON, a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (E.N.E.) from Ardee, on the road to Castle-Bellingham, and on the river Dee; containing, with the villages of Drumgoolstown and Rootstown, 2221 inhabitants, of which number, 279 are in the village of Stabannon. According to the Ordnance survey, this parish comprises 4376¾ statute acres of land of the best quality, mostly under an improved system of tillage. At Drumgoolstown is a bleach-green, conducted by Messrs. J. and R. Crawley. The only gentleman's seat is Charleville, belonging to Lieut.-Col. Tisdall; it is pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Dee, and is one of the oldest houses in the county, having been built in 1640. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, episcopally united from time immemorial to the vicarage of Richardstown, and in the patronage of the Vicars Choral of St. Patrick's cathedral, Dublin, to whom the rectory is appropriate; the tithes amount to £498. 10., of which £298. 10. is payable to the vicars choral, and £200 to the incumbent, who receives no part of the tithes of Richardstown. The glebe-house, within a very short distance of the church, was erected in 1818, at an expense of £738, British currency, of which half was a loan and half a gift from the late Board of First Fruits: the glebe comprises 20 acres of excellent land, of which 15 belong to the vicars choral, and five, valued at £12.10. per annum, to the incumbent. The church is a neat modern structure in good repair, built at an expense of £784 British currency, being a loan from the same Board. In the R.C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Kilsaran: the chapel was partly erected in 1800, and enlarged in 1827. There are two private schools, in which about 130 children are taught. The ruins of Rootstown castle, on an eminence, afford abundant evidence of its ancient magnificence: it was a lofty quadrangular pile, strengthened by a rectangular projection at one corner.

 

 

STICKILLEN, a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 1 mile (E.) from Ardee, on the road to Annagasson and the sea coast; containing 294 inhabitants. It is bounded on the north by the river Dee, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 1361¾ statute acres of excellent land, chiefly under tillage. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, forming part of the union of Ardee; the rectory is impropriate in Viscount Ferrard. The tithes amount to £116. 14. 6., of which £100 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R.C. divisions also it is part of the union or district of Ardee. The ancient burial-ground still exists.

 

 

TALLANSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 7 miles (W.S.W.) from Dundalk, on the road from Drogheda to Monaghan, and on the river Glyde; containing 1074 inhabitants, of which number, 60 are in the village. The parish, according to the Ordnance survey, comprises 3210¼ statute acres: the soil is in general good, and agriculture has greatly advanced, the resident gentry and farmers having exerted themselves to introduce the improved system both in the cultivation of land and in the rearing of cattle. The principal seats are Lisreigny, that of W. Filgate, Esq., a handsome residence in an extensive and well-planted demesne, and the grounds and hedge-rows are exceedingly well kept; Arthurstown, of T. W. Filgate, Esq., also a handsome residence; and Louth Hall, of Lord Louth, a spacious castellated mansion, in a demesne of about 250 acres, which are well planted; on this estate are 700 acres of the best land in Ireland, under tillage. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, forming part of the union of Charlestown or Philipstown; the rectory is impropriate in the Hon. J. Leslie Foster, third Baron of the Exchequer. The tithes amount to £260. 3. 8., of which £215. 13. 8. is payable to the impropriator, and £44.10. to the vicar. In the R.C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Tallanstown, Charlestown, Philipstown, Clonkeen, and Clonkeehan, in which union are two chapels, one in Tallanstown, the other at Reastown in Philipstown. A school for female children was built by T. W. Filgate, Esq., in his demesne at Arthurstown, and is supported by Mrs. and Miss Filgate; there is also a school at Lisreigny: in these schools about 80 children are taught.

 

 

TERMONFECHAN, or TERFECHAN [TERMONFECKIN], a parish, in the barony of FERRARD, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 3½ miles (N.E.) from Drogheda; containing 3393 inhabitants. This place is of very remote antiquity: the village, though at present comparatively insignificant, was formerly a town of considerable importance. A monastery was founded here in 665, of which nothing more is recorded than the death of one of its abbots in 935; and a convent for regular nuns was founded and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin by M'Mahon, whose endowment of it was confirmed by a bull of Pope Celestin III., in 1195. The manor anciently belonged to the see of Armagh, and the Archbishops formerly resided here for three months of the year in a palace of which the remains till very recently formed an interesting feature in the village. Primate Dowdall was interred here in 1543, and the last of those prelates that resided in the palace was the celebrated Archbishop Ussher, who died in 1612. The parish, which is situated on the eastern coast, and bounded at its southern extremity by the river Boyne, which there discharges itself into the sea, comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 6382 statute acres, of which about 300 acres, lying immediately along the sea shore, are unprofitable land, and the remainder principally under tillage and in a state of profitable cultivation. The system of agriculture is progressively improving. There are some good quarries, from which stone is procured for building and repairing the roads. The principal seats are Cartown, the residence of H. Chester, Esq., built in 1612; Newtown, of J. McClintock, Esq.; Black Hall, of G. Pentland, Esq.; Rath House, of Mrs. Brabazon; and Ballydonell, of C. Brabazon, Esq. The village of Termonfechan, which has a penny post to Drogheda, was partly rebuilt and greatly improved by the late Mr. Brabazon, of Rath House; it now contains 89 houses, most of which are very neatly built; a constabulary police force is stationed there, and petty sessions are held every Thursday.

 

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, united from time immemorial to the rectories and vicarages of Clogher and Maine, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes amount to £432. The glebe-house was built in 1814, at an expense of £1685 British, of which £100 was a gift, and £725 Irish currency a loan, from the late Board of First Fruits, and the remainder was defrayed by the then incumbent. The glebe comprises 21 acres, valued at £45. 18. 2. per ann., of which 20 acres are subject to a rent of £1. 10. 4. per acre; and there is also a glebe of 6½ acres in the parish of Maine, valued at £9. 16. 10.: the gross value of the benefice, tithes and glebe included, is £675. 16. 10½. The church, to the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £152, is a neat plain edifice, partly rebuilt in 1792 at the expense of the parish. In the churchyard is a handsome stone cross, also a tombstone, dated 1504, inscribed to the memory of Jolien De Pelacio, subdean of Armagh. In the R.C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Beaulieu, and parts of the parishes of Ballymakenny and Drumshallon; there are two chapels, one in the village, and one at Sandpit, both small buildings. About 120 children are taught in two public schools, of which the parochial school is supported by the rector; and there are two private schools, in which are about 80 children. In a field at a short distance from the town is a massive square tower; there were also several small castles in the vicinity; about two miles from the town is a square tower, all that now remains of Glass-Pistol, a castle formerly belonging to Sir Anthony Brabazon, Bart. This place was the residence of Dr. Oliver Plunket, R.C. Archbishop of Armagh, who was executed for treason.

 

 

TULLYALLEN; or TULLOUGHALLEN, a parish, chiefly in the barony of FERRARD, county of LOUTH, but partly in that of UPPER SLANE, county of MEATH., and in the province of LEINSTER, 2½ miles (N.W.) from Drogheda, on the road to Ardee: the village contains 181 inhabitants; the population of the remainder of the parish is returned with Mellifont. The parish is situated on the river Boyne, by which it is bounded on the south and separated from the county of Drogheda; it comprises about 11,000 statute acres, of which, according to the Ordnance survey, 7344 are in the county of Louth, including a detached portion of 953 acres called Newtown-Stalaba [sic], and 84 in the tideway of the Boyne. The land is wholly under tillage, the soil fertile, and the system of agriculture improved. The scenery on the banks of the Boyne is pleasingly varied. On a rock rising abruptly from the river, about two miles from Drogheda, is a stately obelisk of stone, commemorating the battle of the Boyne by inscriptions on the faces of the pedestal: it was erected by subscription in the reign of Geo. II., and the first stone was laid by Lionel, Duke of Dorset, Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland, in 1736. The principal seats are Townley Hall, the residence of B. Balfour, Esq., a handsome mansion of hewn stone, situated in a highly improved demesne of 500 acres, and containing a choice collection of paintings; Beaulieu, the earliest seat of the Plunkett family, who have been in possession of it at least since the period of the English invasion; Newtown, of F. Donagh, Esq.; and Green Hills, of St. George Smith, Esq. The village contains about 40 houses; the weaving of coarse linen is carried on for the Drogheda market, and a constabulary police force is stationed there. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Armagh, comprising the parishes of Mellifont and Tullyallen, and in the patronage of the Marquess of Drogheda, in whom the rectory is impropriate: the stipend of the curate is £92. 6. 1¾., of which £36. 18. 5½. is paid by the impropriator, and £55. 7. 8¼. by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners from Primate Boulter's augmentation fund. The glebe-house, towards which the late Board of First Fruits contributed a gift of £450 and a loan of £50, was built in 1816; the glebe comprises 10 acres, valued at £8. 6. 8. per annum. The church, towards the erection of which the same Board contributed a gift of £800, in 1817, is a neat edifice and has been recently repaired at an expense of £217, granted by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the R.C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Mellifont; there are two chapels, one in the village, and one at Newtown­Drogheda. About 300 children are taught in four public schools, of which one at Townley Hall is maintained by Mr. Balfour and another by the Misses Balfour. Near the obelisk is a picturesque valley called King William's Glen, in which that monarch encamped his forces, previously to his crossing the river and obtaining the victory of the Boyne.


Return to 1837 Samuel Lewis Topographical Dictionary Main Page

 

¦ County Louth ¦ Dundalk ¦ Drogheda ¦ Annagasson - Carrickbaggott ¦ Castlebellingham - Faughart ¦  Gernonstown - Newtown-Drogheda ¦ Parsonstown - Tullyallen ¦ Co. Louth Subscribers List ¦

 

TOP

© Brendan Hall 2002